Will the Xbox 360 be discontinued or not
Xbox 360 is retiring: what's next?
Everything comes to an end: after more than 10 years, Microsoft is stopping production of the Xbox 360. And how does it continue?
There was once…
On November 22, 2005, the Xbox 360 went on sale in the USA, and on December 2, 2015, the time had come in Europe. With a 3.2 GHz processor with three cores, the ATI Xenos graphics unit, the DVD drive and an adequately sized hard drive, the console was state-of-the-art and a strong competitor for the PlayStation 3. Nevertheless: The original model prepared technical problems - maybe you still remember the infamous "Red Ring of Death"? The Xbox 360 was also not backwards compatible at the beginning and had a very manageable range of games.
But success came very quickly: The Xbox 360 has sold well over 85 million times since its launch, and several versions of the console have been offered. The 2013 model E is astonishingly small, has quiet fans, a large hard drive and all the connections you need today. Microsoft operated intensive product maintenance and with "Halo", "Gears of War" and "Forza" is probably one of the most successful game brands for this platform. Apart from that, the company was always brave and open to new ideas: The separately available HD DVD drive was a flop, however, as the format could not prevail over Blu-ray. And Kinect? The motion control caused a stir, but it wasn't the hit the Redmond giant was hoping for either.
It is really no wonder that Microsoft announced in a blog post that it would discontinue production of the game console. Because the successor console Xbox One is now available for 2 1/2 years, so the focus is on the significantly more powerful machine.
If you still like to play with the Xbox 360, you do not have to think about buying an Xbox One immediately after this message, even if it is becoming more and more interesting thanks to constantly improving backward compatibility and an increasing range of games. Phil Spencer, the responsible manager at Microsoft, emphasizes that the online service Xbox Live will remain active and that you can still access 4000 games. These are available in stores or online on the Xbox Live Marketplace. Hardware support will not be discontinued either.
It should of course be clear that the Xbox 360 is slowly disappearing from stores and making room for the successor. After more than ten years, the console can take its well-deserved retirement. At least for my part, I had a lot of fun with it and still use it regularly - precisely because the range of games is extremely attractive and rich. That being said, many top titles look great in 2016 as well.
Chances are, the Xbox 360 will drop in price again before it becomes unavailable. If you are looking for a versatile entry-level console, then you should keep your eyes open. The E model is currently available with a 500GB hard drive and game for around 200 euros.
Don't miss a post
Select topics - fresh every day at 5 p.m. in your mailbox
View sample newsletter
For your feed reader
EURONICS on social networks
- Why does Quora not provide API 1
- What is resolution 2428 in the United Nations Security Council
- How does oceanic energy make electricity?
- Can an EM dash replace a semicolon
- What exactly is Goldfrapp's musical genre
- What is the stability of metal carbonyl
- How is cloud computing changing society?
- What is special
- Which factors limit the speed of a motor?
- What's your rating of Thumbtack
- Forms of decentralization
- What are the best surreal films
- Empaths are witches
- What is Hennessy Carolina doing
- Can make you less intelligent reading
- Which karate kid is your favorite
- What's next for Theresa May after Brexit
- Why are some fluids flammable?
- Why do people call Thanos Space Hitler
- How does the ND 1000 filter work
- What is 4 8 2 9
- Who demolished Penn Station
- How can I perform well in histology
- What is the application of quantum physics