Is life a multiple choice question
Description of the question types
University of Stuttgart - teaching & learning online
- Digital Teaching and Learning — Support, Consulting and Networking
- Question types in ILIAS tests
Show Advanced KnowledgeHide Advanced Knowledge
The single choice question type provides several answers to choose from, only one of which is correct or can be selected.
The multiple choice question type, like the single choice question, offers several answers to choose from, but several of them can be correct or several answers can be selected. Multiple choice questions are generally possible in ILIAS, but are not allowed for electronic exams according to the examination regulations of the University of Stuttgart.
Four answers or additions follow a question or an incomplete statement. For each one, the test subjects have to decide whether it is right or wrong. To receive a point, all four assessments must be correct. It has proven to be useful to reward three correct assessments with half a point.
Mark mistakes / words
The test persons have to mark all words or groups of words in an error text by clicking on them that are incorrect or do not make sense.
Hotspot / image map
Hotspot / image maps are graphics with click-active areas (circle, square, polygon), under which the test person marks the correct answer by clicking on one of the areas. This type of question can be designed as single choice, i.e. only one of the fields is correct, and as multiple choice, i.e. several fields are correct.
Fill in the blank question
In the fill in the blank question, the test subjects receive an incomplete text that they have to complete. There are three different types of gaps: the text gap, the selection gap, and the numeric gap. If there is a gap in the text, the test person enters the supplement in the input field provided. The selection gap contains - similar to the single choice question type - several answer options that are available for selection. The numerical gap is suitable for arithmetic or estimation tasks, for which a range of numbers can be given as a possible solution.
This is a question type in which the author defines the question (the calculation of a certain value) and the solution (the correct formula), but ILIAS automatically determines the values using random numbers. You can, however, specify the range of values for the random variables. Inaccuracy tolerance, various types of results such as fractions or decimal numbers, and units of measurement are also supported.
In the case of questions of the type Name terms, the test persons must specify a predetermined number of terms, which can be any part of a (larger) set of correct answer options. It is therefore a special variant of the text gap.
Arrangement question: vertical / arrangement question: horizontal
In the case of a question of arrangement, you specify a certain number of images or terms that must be put in the correct order (vertically or horizontally) by the test subjects. ILIAS shows the test subjects the terms or images in a randomly arranged order.
The test persons have to assign given pairs of text or text / image to each other for assignment questions. The terms can be assigned 1: 1 or n: n to the definitions, i.e. an element of the term list can be assigned to exactly one (1: 1) or several (n: n) elements of the definition list. It is also possible to offer surplus, non-assignable elements for selection. When creating the question, different assignment variants of terms and their definitions are possible:
- Assignment of text to text
- Assignment of picture to picture
- Assignment of text to image
- Allocation of text-image combinations
Enter free text
With this type of question, free text can be entered as the answer. The evaluation is done either manually or points are given when you mention individual terms or all terms that you have previously specified. This type of question is particularly suitable for the humanities subjects because it is easier to read.
The virtual programming laboratory ViPLab is a browser-based programming environment which, as an extension of ILIAS, enables programming tasks to be carried out in online tests. Own or predefined programs can be created, executed and their results evaluated. For the test subjects, it is an easy-to-use environment that can be used with a browser from any PC over the Internet.
Analogous to the free text question, it is also possible to assign open tasks that go beyond the compilation of texts, such as the creation of sketches, presentations or computer programs. The evaluation is done either manually or the maximum number of points is automatically assigned when a solution file is submitted.
'Long Menu' question
The long menu question type works in a similar way to the previous fill-in-the-blank question, only that with this question type a list of predefined answers from the test authors is stored in the background. As soon as the test subjects begin to enter their answers in the empty field, the letters indicate possible answers that the test subjects can select. Alternatively, the test subjects can select an answer from a long drop-down field.
- How do I find x in the square
- What screams I'm a professor
- Will the rich survive climate change?
- Is math in civil engineering easy
- Money is real estate
- What is life for animals
- How does eBay manage to stay competitive?
- Powerlifting is dangerous
- Farms are subject to animal abuse laws
- Why does my friend think he's perfect
- Most cryptocurrencies are a pyramid scheme
- How long are Jellyfish Arts jellyfish re-ordered?
- How are turbine blades attached to the turbine
- What's your rating of ZoloStays
- What is enthalpy of fusion
- Which city is better Khulna or Rajshahi
- What are water filter systems
- Why can't Avengers kill Baby Thanos?
- How do you measure marketing performance
- How does an ICE start
- What are the preparations before marriage
- Is the depreciation included in the breakeven analysis
- What is the use of insurance
- What does art on stationery mean
- Is happiness an assumption
- When and how was Cassiopeia discovered
- Which branch cannot apply for IES?
- How do I get a turbocharger
- Arts and sciences are worlds apart
- What is furniture bought
- How does the RF detector circuit work
- Are there stalemates in chess
- Which is better SoundCloud or Shazam
- What is the future of software Art