Cooking destroys the vitamins
Minimizing nutrient loss - the rules
- Always store food as short as possible and also in a cool and dark place.
- It is better to heat briefly and high than to heat for longer on a low heat.
- Steaming, stewing, baking, deep-frying and frying is better than boiling.
- If you are cooking, then use the cooking water for soups, sauces or alkaline drinking broths.
- If the cooking water is to be poured away, then leave the food in large pieces and with the shell, e.g. B. with potatoes or beetroot.
- Since the greatest loss of vitamins occurs during the boiling phase, you should always prepare the food in hot or boiling rather than cold water.
- Drink freshly squeezed juices or freshly mixed smoothies immediately.
- Foods rich in beta-carotene and lycopene - whether cooked or not - should be chopped up well immediately before consumption, e.g. B. mix or puree.
- Anthocyanins, flavonoids and phenolic substances only retain their full activity if they are consumed with raw vegetables.
Nutrient losses during cooking are limited
The nutrient losses during preparation in the kitchen are therefore limited, especially when you cook little, steam and steam more and adhere to the other rules mentioned above. The repeatedly preached sentences like
"All vitamins will be destroyed"
are therefore anything but correct and show little knowledge.
Your donation helps us
If you enjoyed this article, we would appreciate a small contribution to our work! Donate now with Paypal.
Distance training to become a holistic nutritionist
Are you interested in what's in our food and want to know how nutrients and vital substances affect the body? Do you want a healthy life for yourself, your family and fellow human beings? Nutritionists are popular - but the holistic aspect that is needed for sustainable health is often forgotten when giving advice. At the Academy of Naturopathy, you will get to know the connections between lifestyle and diet as well as physical and psychological well-being.
That educates interested people like you in around 16 months to become a holistic nutritionist out.
Is this article worth reading?
Share this article
- Kathryn Siegel, The Healthiest Cooking Methods Explained, Greatist, January 2013, (The Healthiest Cooking Methods Explained)
- Wilhelm Stepp, Nutrition: Basics and Application, Springer-Verlag, December 2013
- Kay-Henner Menge, Workshop Cooking, Grfe und Unzer, March 2006
- Jeff Potter, Cooking for Geeks, O'Reilly and Associates, Edition: 1 (October 20, 2010), (Cooking for Geeks)
- N. Vreden et al, Food Guide: Contents, Additions, Residues, Wiley-VCH Verlag, 3rd edition, 2008
- Sushma Subramanian, Fact or Fiction: Raw veggies are healthier than cooked ones Do vegetables lose their nutritional value when heated ?, Scientific American, Mar 2009, (Fact or Fiction: Raw veggies are healthier than cooked vegetables Loses their nutritional value when heated ?)
- Ada L. Garcia et al, Long-term strict raw food diet is associated with favorable plasma b-carotene and low plasma lycopene concentrations in Germans, British Journal of Nutrition, 2008, Levels in plasma and associated with lower levels of circulating lycopene in plasma)
- Veronica Dewanto et al, Thermal Processing Enhances the Nutritional Value of Tomatoes by Increasing Total Antioxidant Activity, J. Agric. Food Chem., April 2002, (Thermal processing increases the nutritional value of tomatoes by increasing their overall antioxidant activity)
- Cristiana Miglio et al, Effects of Different Cooking Methods on Nutritional and Physicochemical Characteristics of Selected Vegetables, J. Agric. Food Chem., January 2008, (The effects of different cooking methods on the nutritional and physicochemical properties of selected vegetables)
- S.T. Talcott et al, Antioxidant Changes and Sensory Properties of Carrot Puree Processed with and without Periderm Tissue, Agric. Food Chem., April 2000, (Antioxidant changes and sensory properties of processed carrot puree with and without periderm)
- D. Van Eylen et al, Kinetics of the Stability of Broccoli (Brassica oleracea Cv. Italica) Myrosinase and Isothiocyanates in Broccoli Juice during Pressure / Temperature Treatments, J. Agric. Food Chem., June 2007, (The kinetics of stability of broccoli (Brassica oleracea Cv. Italica), myrosinase and isothiocyanates in broccoli juice during pressure / temperature treatments)
- The Why, How and Consequences of cooking our food, EUFIC REVIEW, November 2010,
- Livny O et al, Beta-carotene bioavailability from differently processed carrot meals in human ileostomy volunteers, Eur J Nutr, December 2003, (The bio-availability of beta-carotene in differently processed carrot dishes in volunteers with an artificial anus)
- Song L et al, Effect of storage, processing and cooking on glucosinolate content of Brassica vegetables, Food Chem Toxicol, February 2007,
- Guilln MD et al, Relationships between the evolution of the percentage in weight of polar compounds and that of the molar percentage of acyl groups of edible oils submitted to frying temperature, Food Chem, June 2013, (The relationship between the development of the weight percentages of polar substances and the molar percentage of acyl groups in edible oils at the suggested frying temperature)
- Evenepoel P et al, Digestibility of cooked and raw egg protein in humans as assessed by stable isotope techniques, J Nutr, October 1998,
- Hedrn E et al, Estimation of carotenoid accessibility from carrots determined by an in vitro digestion method, Eur J Clin Nutr, May 2002,
Notice on health issues
This information is passed to the best of my knowledge and belief. They are intended exclusively for those interested and for further training and are in no way to be understood as diagnostic or therapeutic instructions. We do not assume any liability for damages of any kind that arise directly or indirectly from the use of the information. If you suspect illness, please consult your doctor or alternative practitioner
Subscribe to Newsletter
Exciting information about health and nutrition
1x per month
Login Successful. You will shortly receive a confirmation at the specified email address.
With your registration you allow the regular sending of the newsletter and accept the data protection regulations.
HEALTH CENTER © 2021 Neosmart Consulting AG. All rights reserved.
- Mosquitoes are hard-working insects
- I love to learn
- Who is the father of modern genetics
- Where are the best beaches in Japan
- What are Zachary Quinto's most underrated roles?
- Heaven has a playground
- How do I saponify used cooking oil
- What is Justin Bieber's vocal range
- How much would a star destroyer cost
- Is an aromatic cyclooctane compound
- Is It Safe To Eat Boiled Brain?
- How to Get the Best Results in Local Search Engine Optimization
- Is it normal to compare penis size?
- How were super massive black holes discovered?
- Is paranormal psychology where physics becomes psychology
- What do pictures mean to you
- What was the greatest moment for Paul McCartney
- Who invented tea towels?
- How much does world domination cost
- Henna comes out
- Why is acupuncture good for anxiety
- Is there an anarchist kind of democracy
- What is the national fruit of India
- What was the greatest invention of the Mayan Empire
- What is the benefit of body massage
- Where is the best mesothelioma treatment center
- All smart switches require a neutral conductor
- 190 is a good score in NMAT
- What does ad hoc mean in law?
- Why antiaromatic compounds are very unstable
- How many journalists died last year
- Is Russia a bigger threat than terrorism?
- Why didn't they attack Negan?
- How to Create an Infoproduct LLC