Why are emotions intense in psychotherapy
Emotions in therapy: healing and beneficial crying
Occasionally, patients burst into tears during psychotherapy. American psychologists headed by Kristen Capps from Adelphi University (USA) examined which patients tend to cry and for what reasons they cry on the basis of 52 psychotherapy patients who were treated with psychodynamic psychotherapy for various mental illnesses. Ten patients burst into tears during one session. Female patients in particular who suffered from depression, anxiety or a borderline personality disorder, had problems regulating emotions or had been abused in childhood were particularly prone to crying. Crying was triggered by demands in the therapy session that were evoked by certain interventions, such as being asked to express one's feelings or to deal with unpleasant emotions. In addition, reinterpreting established thought patterns and behaviors, reassessing attitudes, and working with desires, fantasies, and early memories brought tears to the patient's eyes. “The working alliance remained stable despite the weeping,” the authors report. According to Capps and colleagues, the study can help make psychotherapists aware that certain interventions can lead to emotional outbursts in certain patients. However, tears in psychotherapy should not be avoided because they have an emotion-regulating effect and could clear the way for behavioral changes. The fact that the patients themselves find this healing and beneficial is made clear by the fact that they do not withdraw their trust in the therapist and continue the therapy. ms
Capps K, Fiori K, Mullin A, Hilsenroth M: Patient crying in psychotherapy. Clinical Psychology and Psychotherapy 2015; 22 (3): 208-20.
- What is the real goal of Mars One
- Can cause PTSD brain fog and fatigue
- Recommend the best Hadoop training institute in Bangalore
- Why are ties still used?
- What is the best beach in Zanzibar
- How can I become a better sycophant
- How can robots be made polite?
- What did Jesus say to Saint Faustina?
- How can I watch HD movies
- Illiterate people can be wise
- Why isn't google search working
- Why did you buy a generator
- What war did the Germans take part in?
- Which means is actually to hate
- Can you tell me something about SPIPA?
- Science subjects are more difficult than the arts
- Are we going to colonize space in this century
- What is pakoda
- How can we practice acceptance in life
- What are the most popular styles
- Why do so many people hate Aquaman
- Arithmetic what is 1 by 1 why
- Can I play PC games using the controller?
- What are some great Irish novels
- Why doesn't ropinirole work for me
- Can you imagine something without an axiom
- What causes nephrosis
- How much history is Chrome
- Can economists work in quantitative finance
- What is your dream wedding shoes
- Is a sales engineer better than a production engineer
- How is software engineering used in VR
- What are the types of magic tricks