Who is Euclid
Euclid of Alexandria
Surname: Euclid of Alexandria
Born: around 365 BC BC (location unknown)
Died: around 300 BC BC (probably in Alexandria, Egypt)
Teaching / research areas: Geometry, number theory, optics, astronomy
The Greek Euclid, who lived in the 4th century BC, is considered the "father" of geometry. His geometric principles formed the basis of geometry in general until the 19th century. In his main work "Elements" (Greek: Stoicheia) he systematized the mathematical knowledge of his time. For 2000 years the "elements" were the most important mathematical textbook of all.
life and work
Almost nothing is known about Euclid's life except that he taught and researched in Alexandria under the reign of Ptolemais I. For this purpose, mathematical treatises have been handed down by him that are second to none, above all his most famous work "Elements?" In this treatise consisting of 13 volumes, Euclid summarized the arithmetic and geometrical knowledge of his time and systematized them. The exemplary structure of the work and the The strict derivation of statements from a limited number of definitions, postulates and axioms were groundbreaking and made the book the most important textbook of mathematics for over 2000 years.
Contributions to mathematics
Most striking was Euclid's influence on geometry. The so-called today Euclidean geometry is the familiar geometry of plane and space and up until the 19th century it was the only conceivable geometry. Euclid also contributed to the development of arithmetic, for example the proof of the existence of an infinite number of prime numbers (also as Euclid's theorem known) or the Euclidean algorithm, by means of which the greatest common divisor of two natural numbers can be calculated. Euclid also wrote on optics and mathematical music theory.
- What does mass in bits mean?
- Japanese Christians hate Shintoists
- What are puffy nipples
- What are the benefits of PUBG hacks
- What are the health benefits of raspberries
- What is the culture of beauty contests like
- CPT is very difficult
- How can religion inform science more effectively
- How do successful business people run their businesses
- What is rock salt made of
- What tools are needed for cybersecurity analysis
- Some mineral acids dry out carboxylic acids
- Why do people brag about being lazy?
- Is it difficult to get good at ISC?
- How is the tax paid on the share profit
- Safe is beauty operations
- What happened to RocknRoll
- Is the game of poker realistic in Rounders
- Who are foreign brokers
- What is Alpha Rating Finding
- What is the coordination number in BCC
- Barack Obama is a clairvoyant person
- How do I bet on horses
- What is the best hiking route app
- Who blocked me on Instagram 1
- Get deer laeuse
- Why do people bully Trump supporters
- How do you dispose of lime water
- Which burger is vegan
- How should I prepare for Harvard?
- Asthma sufferers can use cough syrup
- What is your main disability-related difficulty?
- Can hate be a useful emotion