Is Apple Music less buggy than Spotify
Spotify: 10 common problems and what to do about them
1. Ensure that Spotify can be reached
If Spotify is not working properly, there are a few tweaks to be made on suspicion. Many problems arise because the connection to the Spotify server fails. Therefore, first check this connection:
- On the Spotify page on AlleStören.de and on the Twitter channel Spotify Status you can see whether Spotify is currently experiencing technical problems. If so, there is little you can do other than wait and see.
- On cell phones and tablets: Disconnect and reconnect to the Internet. To do this, switch flight mode on and off again.
- Restart the device you want to listen to Spotify on.
- Internet connection via cellular network: Check that the data volume of your cellular network plan is not exhausted. There may also be a problem with the connection between your mobile operator's network and Spotify. You can either simply wait for improvement or contact your provider's hotline for more information.
- Internet connection via DSL, cable connection, etc.: Restart your router or modem.
- Especially for WiFi connections to the Internet: Check whether the WiFi signal is strong enough.
2. Clear the Spotify cache
Once the connection is established, then empty the cache next: Spotify stores a lot of data, including the tracks saved offline, in a cache on your computer or mobile phone - the cache.
Sometimes the cache gets messed up, which manifests itself for example in playback problems. Clearing the cache eliminates the problem.
- Windows: Using Windows Explorer, delete the files in the "C: / Users / username / AppDataLocal / Spotify / Storage" folder. "Username" corresponds to the name of your Windows user account.
- Mac: Use the Finder to delete the files in the folder "~ / Library / Application Support / Spotify / PersistentCache / Storage". In the Finder, press Cmd + Shift + G to enter this path.
- Android: In the Android settings under “Apps” tap on Spotify, then on “Storage” and then on “Erase data”.
- iPhone / iPad: Open the Spotify settings, go to "Storage" and then tap on "Clear cache".
3. Sign out and sign back in
The connection is established, the cache is cleared, but Spotify still doesn't work? Then next, sign out of the service and sign back in again.
- Windows / Mac: Click on the arrowhead to the right of your user name in the upper right corner and click on “Log out”.
- Android / iPhone / iPad: Tap the gear icon in the top right corner, scroll all the way down and tap “Log out”. Spotify will then automatically ask you to log back in.
4. Spotify mix tapes disappeared
The so-called mix tapes actually appear under “Created for you”. That's up to six playlists that Spotify creates for you based on your music tastes. Recently, however, Spotify had a technical problem due to which the playlists are no longer displayed for some users. Spotfiy has now fixed the problem.
If your mixtapes are still gone, the first thing to do is to check that you have the latest version of the app installed. If that is already the case, it will help if you remove Spotify and then reinstall it.
5. Eliminate jerky playback (Windows only)
Playback jerks and stutters, especially with videos? Under Windows in particular, you should check whether Spotify's hardware acceleration is active. It shifts some of the work associated with playback to the graphics adapter, which leads to enormous increases in performance. But it doesn't work on all systems.
The corresponding switch can be found in the settings. There you click on "Show advanced settings". In the “Compatibility” section, click on the switch behind “Activate hardware acceleration”. Then try to see if the interference still occurs.
6. Recover deleted Spotify playlists
There is often a lot of work going into great playlists. It is not uncommon for people to collect and organize them diligently over the course of weeks and months. It is all the more annoying if one of the precious lists is accidentally deleted.
It seems that this happens more often than you think. Because when you log into the Spotify website you will find a function called “Restore Playlists” in the overview on the left. Here, Spotify will show you all the playlists that you deleted in the past. You can retrieve any playlist you want by simply tapping the "Restore" button behind the desired entry.
7. Offline files: Only 10,000 songs per device
Spotify Premium allows you to download songs for offline listening. This is especially useful if you also use Spotify on the go, because you save your monthly mobile data volume.
If you use the download function intensively, it is all the more annoying if it suddenly no longer seems to work. This is due to a limit that Spotify rarely talks about: You can store a maximum of 10,000 tracks on up to five devices. If this limit is reached, you have to delete some titles before you can download new ones.
To selectively delete files, simply turn off the "Downloads" switch. For a major house cleaning, in which all files are removed from the device, delete the Spotify cache, the so-called cache (tip 2).
8. Spotify Library: Bypass 10,000 songs limit
You can put together your own collection from the huge number of titles in Spotify. To do this, tap the “Like” heart in the apps or the “+” sign in the Spotify software for Windows and macOS. All songs selected in this way end up in your Spotify library. A problem for music fans with a large collection: the library is limited to 10,000 songs.
But there is an alternative that requires you to install Spotify on Windows or macOS. Then create a playlist named “My Library 1” or something similar. In the future, add your songs to this playlist. If the limit of 10,000 titles per playlist has been reached, then start another list and name it, for example, "My library 2". Here you continue your collection.
The trick now is that you can collect several playlists in a playlist folder that you can name, for example, "My Music". If you click on the folder, you will see all the tracks contained in the lists stored in it under “All Songs” at once. Double-click the folder to start playback of the songs in the lists. You can create new playlist folders via "File New Playlist Folder".
9. Local files disappeared
Spotify knows many but of course not all the songs that exist in the world. Therefore, it is convenient that you can add your own files to Spotify. With Spotify Premium you can listen to the files not only on your computer, but also on your mobile phone and tablet.
However, when you reinstall Spotify, the local files are gone. As so often, a visit to the settings can help. Activate the option “Show local files” there. They then appear as usual in the bar on the left edge of the Spotify software. How to transfer local files to smartphones and tablets with Spotify Premium is explained in the Spotify Help.
10. Secure your Spotify account
Despite all caution, your Spotify user account can still be hacked. Spotify itself is considered safe. But if you use the same access data for several services, for example, or allow other services to access Spotify, then the risk of a successful attack increases.
You can recognize an attack, for example, when music that you have never listened to appears in your overview “Recently listened to artists”. Several suggestions in the automatically generated "Your Mix of the Week" playlist that do not match your musical taste indicate a possible problem. All alarm bells should sound if you're thrown out of Spotify in the middle of the higher because playback has started on another device.
In this case, open the Spotify website and log in with your user account. Then click in the “Account overview” below on “Log out everywhere”. Then change your password immediately.
It is not uncommon for attackers to change the Spotify password or even the email address associated with the account. If you can no longer log in, first try password recovery via the Spotify website. If this fails, contact Spotify support.
Record and save music streams
7 music streaming services compared
- Why do I act like this
- Why was Mike Tyson so aggressive
- What is hockey
- What are the 5 Biggest Money Wasters
- What does crapplet
- What influence does an entrepreneur have
- Why did Shino become a teacher
- People compose beats for other artists
- You can use Google Analytics for Facebook
- How do turbines and generators work together
- What makes you a credible speaker
- What is an intergenerational trauma
- What is hypersonic technology
- What makes a book successful
- Which flashlight should I never buy?
- Is this sentence correct? People are monkeys
- Learn geniuses with less practice
- Is a VPN really necessary in 2019
- What makes a problem interesting for engineers
- Is computer technology more difficult than electrical and electronic equipment
- Why is respect important
- What superhero has invulnerability in the MCU
- Should the NFL have a draft lottery
- What religion do the Americans follow
- What can the speed of a bullet create
- What caused the earthquake in Ecuador
- Great Britain has internet
- What did the old Philistines look like?
- What did the old Philistines look like?
- Can we say that music is soul
- Which is the best guitar song solo
- What is Random Access Storage
- What is the point of the university
- How ISPs Identify Torrent Traffic