Is it okay to eat sage leaves?
Sage and breastfeeding: why you should refrain from breastfeeding
Of course, nursing mothers want to eat healthily. It is obvious! Therefore, you should rather avoid sage during breastfeeding. While sage is healthy, it can also cause quite nasty side effects. You can find out here why you should avoid breastfeeding.
How does sage affect the body?
Sage has long been considered a medicinal plant and is used for various physical ailments. These include, for example, inflammation of the throat and pharynx. In addition to its antiseptic effect, sage is also said to have a growth-inhibiting effect on fungi and bacteria and to relieve cramps. The decisive factor is the thujone it contains, a component of the essential oil found in the plant.
Why to be careful with sage while breastfeeding
Despite the positive effects described, nursing mothers should exercise caution with sage. Sage, sage oils and sage tea can have a sedative effect and thus stop the flow of milk. This can lead to an insufficient supply of your baby and, in the worst case, you have to feed them.
Thujone, which is responsible for the positive effects of sage, can also lead to undesirable side effects. Too much of this essential oil can trigger symptoms such as flushing, cramps, dizziness, and also a temporarily increased heart rate. All side effects that you certainly do not want to have. It is for this reason that it is important to be very careful when it comes to “sage and breastfeeding”. For example, if you only drink a cup of sage tea now and then, it cannot be assumed that the described side effects will occur. But you really don't have to conjure up your misfortune. By the way: It is not advisable to use too large amounts even after breastfeeding.
Sage, sage oil and sage tea are healthy, but unsuitable for breastfeeding mothers. While sage has anti-milk properties, women looking to reduce their milk flow should not start drinking more sage tea. In such a case it is better to ask the midwife or lactation consultant.
Getty Images / SelectStock
Image source: Getty Image / SelectStock
- What is maintainability and availability
- What types of birds eat worms
- How would you define Americana music
- What are the metallic rocks
- Are Christianity and Darwinism incompatible
- Anyone who does dissociative fugue affects a patient
- What does a good world building look like
- Are there black people in Lithuania
- Counts abuse as torture
- Why don't billionaires wear fashionable clothes?
- Zoning friends increases your own ego
- What does impedance mean in headphones
- What is a Pyrrhic victory
- Should we make panhandling illegal?
- How can we start a startup?
- Why are narwhals endangered
- What is Frances national debt
- What qualities make a person more personable?
- What is the most beautiful river
- Is the model of life glamorous
- Who is EMPURAAN
- What are the disadvantages of neuroplasticity
- Who is watching in the Actors Studio Why
- Which subway is in the Mughal Garden