What is h bond
The water molecule
The water molecule has an angled structure. The angle between the two hydrogen atoms is approx. 104 degrees (°). This angled structure results from the two non-bonding electron pairs that the oxygen atom possesses (these are indicated by the two lines above the oxygen atom).
Water molecules are dipoles
In the water molecule, two hydrogen atoms are bound to an oxygen atom via an electron pair bond. The electron pair bond consists of two electrons and is indicated by a line.
A measure of the force to attract the electrons of the electron pair bond is called electronegativity (EN = measure of how strongly an atom attracts common bonding electrons). Different atoms have a different electronegativity value. The element with the highest electronegativity is fluorine (EN = 4). Oxygen has an electronegativity of 3.5 and hydrogen of 2.1. This in turn has an impact when atoms come together to form a molecule, as is the case with water. In the water molecule, oxygen has a greater electronegativity than hydrogen and thus attracts the electrons of the two electron pair bonds to its side. This results in a negative partial charge for the oxygen atom (denoted by the ancient Greek letter “delta”; δ-). The hydrogen atoms, on the other hand, receive a positive partial charge (δ +).
The angled structure and the different electronegativity values of oxygen and hydrogen result in a negative center of charge on the oxygen side and a positive center of charge on the other side of the water molecule for hydrogen.
Water molecules are thus a dipole or dipole molecule (double pole).
- How do I motivate my brother
- Asthma sufferers can use cough syrup
- Is honesty in political office bad
- Are green beans paleo friendly
- What did Lord Krishna say about love?
- Is the Tamil language similar to Sanskrit
- How good is this blog
- Difference between homologous alleles and homozygous alleles
- How widespread is math in music
- Is Restless Leg Syndrome Real?
- Sadhguru believes in astrology
- How can a black hole emit sound?
- Joined KGEC in 2017
- How do I make a porous pavement
- How do I start a chaat booth
- What is smokeless fuel
- How does gravity work 2
- Who invented the colorimeter?
- How can photons have an electric field?
- Why should I visit Lake Tahoe
- Someone with fibromyalgia is taking Fosamax
- What is Hummingbird Update
- What are the methods of science
- How is syphilis treated
- Why are there slums near posh places
- What is a PPE in healthcare
- What is the culture of beauty contests like
- How do I prepare for IJSO
- What was the greatest invention of the Mayan Empire
- How good is the afghan cricket team
- How can I cut myself without pain
- Why Albert Einstein never wore socks
- Why was Bitconnect such a successful scam