How can written communication be effective
by Peter Knappmann, 08/15/2018
With the invention of the telephone, the written exchange was partially replaced. What began with concise and precise messages on the handset led to superfluous ramblings due to the falling telephone costs, also in business traffic - efficiency and effectiveness have declined since then.
To a certain extent, correspondence is considered cumbersome, time-consuming and outdated, which in my opinion is not at all the case. Whether reports, business letters, offers or memos, used correctly Writing does not cost more time, it saves time. It makes us independent of personal presence and gives us the opportunity to reflect.
With this blog post I would like to show you how you can design your written communication correctly and effectively.
What do you want to achieve with the recipient?
The main aim of the report is recipient and reader oriented to formulate. In this way you do not remain an author alone, but transform into a manager. You trigger the intended effect on the recipient, you thereby cause action. Effectiveness here means being clear about who the recipient is and what they are most likely to respond to.
For example, it makes a difference whether you are writing to a lawyer, engineer or financial expert. Depending on how you design the length of your report, rely on simple or complex language, put the essentials at the beginning or integrate various means of communication such as numbers, graphics or drawings.
Clarity, conciseness and accuracy of the language
Unfortunately, the correct expression cannot be taken for granted and the level of training is not decisive here either. Both the grammar, the choice of words, the spelling and the punctuation - they are important components of personal and organizational effectiveness and lead to a administrative professionalism.
Quality and shape
Keywords can summarize things well, but also induce the recipient to read the report only cursory, for example, which in turn can lead to misinterpretations and misunderstandings. The more difficult an issue, the more you should do without keywords.
Likewise, it should not be mandatory to use design elements such as images, boxes or arrows for every type of writing. Such Style elements should follow logic and expression and can only be used if they do not result in a lengthy explanation and the recipient has a basic understanding.
As a manager, you are interested in effectiveness and therefore you want that to make communication easier with writing. If you need to communicate with a business partner, I advise you to think about your effect beforehand. And then the next time you pick up the phone, a previously written note can also lead to efficient and effective communication.
What matters is your preparation.
Text: Lena Knappmann / Image: Adobe Stock
- How does Ellen Show make money
- Could trustees be related to a charity
- Can I learn AI without coding
- How do you define mind
- Transgender men can have penises and testicles
- Where's the Kursk submarine
- Can replace 3D printing foundry patterns
- Vikings wore fur cloaks
- What should everyone know about engineering
- Is there anything better than revenge
- Political Science or Economics
- Fencing is a sport and why
- How long do social media trends last?
- How did Mike Tyson get a tiger
- Why does Hollywood promote homosexuality
- What is fuel injection
- How do I write good night pictures
- BTS damages the popularity of Justin Biebers
- Where do you recommend buying socks
- Most people believe in web entrepreneurship
- How does IQ Option work
- Should I sell my shares in VMware?
- How effective are GoDaddy Marketing Services
- What are some good documentaries on hackers