What do you think of your signature?

Legalization of your signature

Are you staying abroad and are you a Dutch citizen? Then the Dutch embassy or consulate can legalize your signature in certain cases. You sign your document in the presence of a consular officer.

Sometimes a legalization of your signature is required, e.g. B. for a power of attorney or for the settlement of an inheritance. Or when selling a house.


Your document was created in Dutch, English, French or German. Is not that the case? Then have it translated by a sworn translator. If the translator is sworn outside the Netherlands, you need to have the translation legalized by the local authorities.

You sign your document during your appointment. The legalization of a signature cannot be done by post. Legalization confirms the authenticity of your signature; it says nothing about the content or the legal validity of the document.

Sometimes the embassy or consulate checks in advance with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in the Netherlands whether a signature on a document can be legalized.

Preparation and appointment

First of all, inquire with the body that needs the document from you (e.g. your bank, a notary or a municipality) whether they will accept a signature legalized by an embassy or consulate.

You can make an appointment at an embassy or consulate in your region.

Find out whether you need to make an appointment at a Dutch embassy or consulate in your region or whether you can appear there without making an appointment.


The costs for the legalization of your signature can be found in the list of consular fees.

What do you need to take with you?

You must appear at the embassy or consulate yourself and take the following with you:

  • The document that you want to sign.
  • A valid Dutch passport or ID card.