What is meant by codec
A Audio codec (also: audio codec) is a computer program that compresses or decompresses digital audio data using a specified audio format (or streaming audio format).
In certain contexts, the term "audio codec" can also refer to a hardware device or a sound card. In this case the device is meant that encodes an analog audio signal.
The most popular audio codecs include the following.
|MPEG-1 Layer 3||MP3||An official compression standard. So MP3 is a compression technique, not a special codec. There are many codecs for MP3. |
|MPEG-4 Part 3||AAC||Codecs |
|other MPEG audio codecs|
|AC3||An official audio compression standard. Almost all DVDs contain AC3 encoded audio tracks. There are decoders for both Windows and Linux that work with AC3 audio within AVI files. The advantage is that no recompression is necessary (recompression is always associated with a loss of quality) and that multi-channel sound (Dolby Surround and the like) is retained. The disadvantage |
is that AC3 audio takes up more storage space than MP3 encoded audio.
|Windows Media Audio||WMA|
|Ogg Vorbis||Vorbis||An open source audio compression codec. The advantages are a better quality-to-size ratio compared to MP3 and multi-channel support. Unfortunately, Vorbis audio cannot be properly embedded in AVIs.|
|Free Lossless Audio Codec||FLAC|
Under Mplayer, the following are the most important audio codecs.
- MPEG layer 2 and layer 3 (MP3) audio (built-in code, with MMX / SSE / 3DNow! Optimizations)
- MPEG layer 1 audio (built-in code, with Libavcodec)
- Windows Media Audio 9 (WMAv3) (with the DMO DLL)
- AC3 Dolby Audio (built-in code, with MMX / SSE / 3DNow! Optimizations)
- Ogg Vorbis audio codec (built-in library)
- RealAudio: DNET (AC3 with low bit rate), Cook, Sipro, Atrac
- QuickTime: Qualcomm and QDesign audio codecs
- VIVO Audio (G723, Vivo Siren)
- Voxware Audio (using the DirectShow DLL)
- alaw, MSGSM, PCM, and other simple, legacy audio formats
- Are INTJ couples a good couple
- What is LDPE
- How would strange fruit taste
- How long do apples last
- Is life an optimization problem
- What is a token sale today
- How often do you visit Delhi
- How does Clutch Co make money
- There are totally free resume builders available
- Why is Wonder Woman so popular
- How do I clean my iPhone
- Can a hypertensive patient take aspirin
- Why does our phone have two IMEIs
- How many cities does Guatemala have
- How to use jumper cables
- What is an internet phone number
- Supports Tensorflow unique topologies of neural networks
- Which countries rejected multiculturalism and why?
- How does Netflix charge you
- What kind of load is an engine
- Is cloud computing really a new technology?
- What are online services worth paying for?
- What happened to jesus
- How can survivability be taught