What is the African Diaspora
Faist working group
Expertise on the Development Potential of African Migrants in Northrhine-Westfalia
The expertise was conducted on behalf of the Ministry for Generations, Women, Family, and Integration (MGFFI) of Northrhine-Wesphalia (NRW). The empirical study was carried out between December 2006 and August 2007.
The study focuses on the question of how African migrants in NRW organize themselves. Particular attention is paid to how African migrants represent and advance their interests, both in Germany and in the countries of origin. Based on an agency-centered perspective, the research focuses primarily on the migrants own positions and perspectives. Therefore, we employ qualitative research methods, for example interviews, focus-group discussions and participant observation. Through a comparison of different groups within the African diaspora in NRW, we look at the inter-group differences and at the internal differentiations of migrant associations and networks. Thereby the diverse social, economic, political and cultural conditions characterizing the respective migrant communities, as well as gender specific dimensions of the migration-development nexus come to the fore. We analyze all these aspects with respect to their transnational dimensions.
The study aims at gaining insights into the development potential of migrant organizations in the African diaspora. Based on our findings we explore the possibilities to support and advance migrant engagement in development cooperation. The study forms the basis for policy recommendations and thereby supports the planning of appropriate activities by the State Government of NRW in the domain of migration and development.
The project was directed by Prof. Thomas Faist, PhD. Members of the project team were Dr. Nadine Sieveking (field research), Margit Fauser (coordination), Judith Ehlert and Yulika Ogawa-M ller.
- What makes a nurse angry
- The fastest way to make French press coffee
- What happens in the CAT test center
- How do you visualize the insert sorting
- Are standard size door locks
- What are ideal gases
- How do I practice writing in the law
- What are the scientific benefits of vegetarianism
- Western countries should ban extremist Islamic sects
- What is olive pomace oil made of
- What is rush hour
- What is meant by CPU
- How can I make up my mind easily
- What is a Senate Hearing
- How is food at a police station
- Where do I research stocks
- How much does cyber liability insurance cost
- How can you shake hands with a pianist?
- What are the 7 Weeks Pregnant Symptoms
- How exactly is Flightaware
- How did Parikshit die
- What is the etymology Sai
- How interesting is psychology as a subject
- What is Marfan Syndrome
- When did ECE polytechnic students get jobs?
- Which need more skill badminton or cricket
- Are Ukrainian and Russian women polygamous
- Can you get knowledge through black magic
- What challenges did you face when marketing music?
- Cyber attacks are acts of war
- What is called a patent in Hindi
- Polls underestimate Trump's support
- What are some uses of hyper-real numbers