Has social media logic
To what extent does the social media logic promote right-wing populism in social networks?
Right-wing populist politicians in particular are extremely active on social networks such as Twitter and Instagram. They also seem to be very successful there. Since their followers increasingly use these platforms for information and avoid traditional media, it is necessary to analyze the logic of social media and its advantages for right-wing populists in order to understand their appeal.
The aim of this work is to find out how right-wing populists use social media and why they can be so successful there. To this end, the following research questions were posed: How do right-wing populists behave in social networks? What are the advantages of these networks? The behavior is examined on the basis of right-wing populist content as well as the stylistic and strategic means that are used. In order to work out the advantages, it is considered which content is well received, whether the communication by a single (manager) person is well received and which of the styles and strategies really work.
In order to answer the research questions, a literature analysis is carried out in order to work out the current state of research. For this purpose, current empirical studies on the topic of right-wing populism in social media are analyzed. The results of the literature analysis show that successful right-wing populist politicians in social networks primarily use their ideological content to present themselves as representatives of the people. In addition, they specifically use stylistic devices such as emotionality, simplification and negativity to generate attention. In addition, right-wing populists use social networks strategically, for example by focusing on a certain leader who presents himself as charismatic and approachable. So they adopt the way social media works to legitimize their movement and mobilize the masses.
The literature analysis shows that the phenomenon of right-wing populism in social media must be viewed from both an ideological and a communication strategy perspective. Further research could increasingly focus on a cross-border comparison and look at the respective cultural backgrounds that can explain certain behavioral patterns.
Communication strategy, literature analysis, right-wing populism, social media
Information about work
Bachelor thesis, 35 pages
Submitted December 2019 (processing time: 3 months)
Prof. Dr. Hans-Bernd Brosius
Institute for Communication Studies and Media Research
Caroline Henriette Csakli: [email protected]
- What is life at 21
- Should sex only be used for procreation
- Why do frogs ride snakes
- Does radiation affect the human brain
- What use is make-up
- How can written communication be effective
- How much rice does 1 plant bring
- Do you believe in spiritual miracles?
- Budget your expenses
- What causes tech incubators to fail
- Is electrical engineering connected with computer science
- Is branzino kosher
- Peaches can be grown in Florida
- What is the difference between situation and state
- What did you do that surprised everyone
- What is a business broker
- How is energy transmitted through convection
- Fox hunting is banned in Great Britain
- What does it mean what happened
- Oral steroids are harmful
- Is temperament a key to success
- What websites offer free bulk SMS software
- How well did Carl Mannerheim speak Finnish?
- What's in the IELTS Academic Reading Test