Are there other time measurements
If we want to know what time it is today, we just look at the clock. That wasn't always the case, of course. The first attempts to measure time with the help of the position of the sun were made 6,000 years ago: The Sumerians stuck a stick in the sand and watched the wandering shadow. With the help of markings in the ground, the Sumerians divided the day into twelve hours - one hour was then as long as two hours today. This could be measured with the help of markings in the ground. The Chinese and Egyptians did a similar thing. The disadvantage of sundials is that they don't work in bad weather or at night.
Candles, water and hourglasses
Other methods existed in ancient Greece, for example. Here you stopped the time with a 'water clock'. For example speaking time in court: water dripped from one vessel into another and when the first vessel was empty, speaking time was over. The first hourglasses appeared about 600 years ago. Back then, they already looked like our current hourglasses and also worked the same way. They were used at sea, for example, to determine how long a cabin boy had to keep watch. In England there were candles with markings in the Middle Ages. The distance between two marks burned down every hour. Each candle lasted four hours. So you needed six candles for a whole day.
These time measurements were all very inaccurate. That did not change until the 13th century: the first mechanical wheel clock was put into operation on a church tower in England. It was driven with weights and had to be wound up over and over again. Just like some mechanical pocket watches that were invented 200 years later and that are still around today. In the 19th century, the first electronically operated clocks were developed that already functioned similarly to our clocks today.
Status: 03/23/2010, 10:15 am
- What are advanced courses
- Are Ita bags allowed at BTS concerts
- Why is the Book of Revelation important
- Can someone exterminate the Tyranids?
- What is an I 94 form
- Off would damage my car paint
- How does an artist train his imagination?
- What does nail polish do
- Can humans absorb light?
- What are the best margin rates
- Is it safe to donate to Wikipedia
- Who first used the term magical realism?
- How do you deal with condescension online
- What is an Asperger's View of Therapy
- Jews forgive Hitler
- Who sings the song Crimson and Clover
- What does typical Japanese food look like
- Is it worth paying for Babbel
- Why isn't it illegal to cause emotional trauma?
- What is liquefied natural gas
- Can guys show their thighs
- Why are you verified
- Why does carbon form so many compounds
- You can become desensitized to bullying
- How many different forms are there
- Is Iron Man mutated
- What's your favorite American Pie movie
- What is the height of Kajal Aggarwal
- Why should you replace attic insulation
- Has the FBI ever investigated any paranormal event?
- Is LIET Alwar good
- Mikhail Gorbachev was democratically elected
- Why is hemp not used more often?
- Is Effexor a Benzodiazepine