What species of whales have teeth?
About 71 species of whale belong to the suborder of the toothed whale - most of them are small dolphins like the Irrawaddy dolphin and porpoise. However, there are also some 'big ones' such as the killer whale and the sperm whale; the latter can be up to 20 meters long.
Toothed whales are in 10 families subdivided: Chinese river dolphin (1 kind), Amazon Dolphin (1 kind), La Plata Dolphin (1 kind), South Asian river dolphin (1 kind), Actual dolphins (about 35 species), Porpoises (6 kinds), Pilot whales (2 species), sperm whale (1 kind), Minke Sperm whales (2 types) and Beaked whales (about 21 species).
All toothed whales rule them Echo location. With a sonar system (echo sounder) they can track down their prey, mostly agile fish and octopus. The melon, a waxy, lenticular structure in the forehead of the whale, focuses sounds that are mostly in the ultrasonic range between 20 and 220 kHz and are generated by the whales themselves in the nasal passages. The sound waves reflected by the prey are received in the oil-filled cavities in the lower jawbone and passed on through the bone and overlying fatty tissue to the ear and brain, where the information is evaluated. Through these echoes, the whale is able to determine the distance of an object, its size, shape and surface structure and thus to create a 'sound image' of its surroundings.
With the toothed whales, which are usually sociable, one can also distinguish individual animals by their individual whistling tones; sometimes group-specific dialects have developed in the animals.
Dolphins (Delphinidae) and porpoise (Phocoenidae) can easily be confused. An important distinguishing feature are their teeth: Bottlenose dolphins have spade-shaped teeth, while in the dolphins they are more conical.
Members of Dolphin family also have a larger, sickle-shaped dorsal fin. Most species have a melon-shaped head with a pronounced snout, the so-called beak. The dolphins include the smallest whale species - the Hectordelfin with a length of up to 1.4 meters. The largest dolphin species is the killer whale, also known as the orca, with a length of up to 7 meters.
Members of Bottlenose dolphin family on the other hand have blunt heads, which are due to the missing beak and the not pronounced melon-shaped forehead. The dorsal fin of most bottlenose dolphins is small and triangular in shape. The smallest bottlenose dolphin species is our native porpoise, up to 2 meters long, and the largest, up to 2.4 meters long, is the Dall harbor porpoise.
This is how you help the whales and dolphins
- Whales and dolphins
They should be strong and gentle, compassionate and social, wise and enigmatic: formerly hunted as beasts, today many see them as “better people”. Continue reading ...
- Who had the most children
- What is bluetooth 5 0
- How was Stevie Wonder discovered
- Can you buy empty beer kegs Where
- Is dictatorship good for rapid development
- What are the hottest Twitter startups
- Why did Alexander hate the Persians
- Why are time outs so important in football?
- How does candidiasis affect men
- What is the wavelength of brown light
- Who sings the song I Got Nothing
- What do lecturers expect from a student
- L P d T Internet c N tho
- How big is malware
- What is the biggest challenge for a CA student
- Is helium a radioactive element
- Name the current spiritual leader of Buddhism
- Angular 2 is an open source tool
- How many turkeys live in Turkey
- Is Kodaikanal safe for unmarried couples
- How can photons have an electric field?
- What do I miss you in Pakistan
- Is happiness just a lack of pain?
- If 63 36x 84 what is x
- Can drones be intercepted?
- Gives India Post Payment Banks Loans
- How was an atom explained by Rutherford
- Are outdated computers good for games?
- What is meant by ABS in cars
- How much would a star destroyer cost
- How do celebrities get drugs
- What are sexual vibrations
- May cause dermatillomania myopia
- Can an outdoor plant survive without sunlight