What types of method overload are there?
1.6 Method overloading
Open up the following simple program by moving the mouse over the program lines:
As you have probably noticed, the MethodOverloaded class contains two methods that are addressed by the same name, javaMethods.
In Java, several methods can be defined in a class, the names of which are identical, but which differ from one another in terms of the number and / or type of arguments. We refer to this programming style in Java as overloading.
Overloading means that two methods with the same name but different parameters can be declared in one class. When the method is called, the compiler then recognizes which method is meant based on the number and type of parameters.
However, it is not permitted to define two methods in a class with the same name and identical parameter list, i.e. the same signature.
The signature of a method is made up of the method name and the sequence of its parameter types in the method head.
The types of parameters and the number are decisive for the compiler. Not the name of the parameters. You should always pay attention to this.
In our example, the two methods of the method Overload class have the following signature:
- java methods String
- javaMethods String int
The compiler compares the types of parameters in the method headers with the types of values specified in a particular method call. If the compiler cannot assign the parameters in the individual methods (same parameter lists), it outputs an error message. This also applies to methods that only differ in the type of their return value.
The user of an object can use the possibility of overloading methods to select a particular method that most closely matches the requirements of his specific task.
- Should we read or not while traveling
- What are the best stress reliever ghosts
- Why are injection molds so expensive
- Are GitHub and Bitbucket the same
- What are the best websites for event registration
- How are cumulus clouds formed
- What percentage of children sleep naked?
- How long will my tattoo peel off?
- Can Bactrim treat a staph infection
- What is the smallest, most powerful engine
- Troodon is smarter than dolphins
- Which unit of measurement comes after millimeters
- What is the unit weight of bitumen
- How many letters in the alphabet
- Is the Wipro QPLC a bonus
- What are the best Blue Moon beers
- What are the best museums in Vienna
- Why are Goffin's cockatoos screaming
- Is it safe to donate to Wikipedia
- Why is Apple Obsessed with Privacy
- All DLP is good for AIIMS
- Who built the Airbnbs Android app
- Is electrical engineering connected with computer science
- What is an internet phone number