What is a stranded ladder
December 11, 2020, 1:00 p.m.
In November, Sri Lanka saw the largest whale stranding in the island's history. 120 of the pilot whales stranded on Panadura Beach were rescued by volunteers and marines and led back into the open sea.
In September there was a mass stranding along the west coast of Tasmania in Australia, which resulted in death for the majority of the marine mammals. Of the nearly 470 whales, 360 died. Just a few days earlier, dozens of broad-billed dolphins perished on the coast of Mauritius.
"The whale stranding phenomenon has always existed," says Nicolas Entrup. The underwater noise expert has been working in marine protection for more than 25 years, including for OceanCare, an NGO that, as the UN special adviser on marine protection, ensures that the oceans and their inhabitants are protected worldwide. "In addition to the live strandings and the dead strandings of whales, there are the so-called atypical strandings. If different species of whales strand in a manageable area, then we know: Here humans definitely have a hand in it."
Thousands of marine mammals strand around the world every year; the causes are varied and a reason cannot always be identified and named. Researchers often suspect that the animals have lost their orientation. But what?
As a guest at Elisabeth Scharang, Nicolas Entrup speaks about the phenomenon of stranding, theories about possible causes, the contribution made by humans - through the search for oil, through noise and environmental disasters or fishing - and the oceans as the habitat of whales.
You are cordially invited to take part in the broadcast: on 0800 22 69 79 - free of charge from all over Austria - or send an email to punkteins (at) orf.at
Series of broadcasts
Creator: Robert MacGimsey
Title: Jonah and the Whale
Executor: Louis Armstrong
Length: 02:36 min
Label: Decca Records
Creator: Richard Starkey
Title: Octopus's Garden
Performers: The Beatles
Length: 02:47 min
Label: Apple Records
Author: Franz Schubert
Title: Franz Schubert: Singing on the Water, D.774
Executor: Yevegeny Kissin
Length: 02:01 min
Label: Deutsche Grammophon
- How easy is that hiset
- What is a pressure drop
- When does a laptop not charge?
- How do you say grilled in German
- Is Sonos sound quality good
- Why are some things clear to me
- What does an engineer have to learn and read?
- What are the best industrial design documentaries
- Why is political science considered a science
- Make ISTPs complain
- DoorDash will go public
- What is special about One Piece
- September is the best road trip to Laddakh
- Which is the best data analysis software
- What does creative advice do
- What does a ribbed plate do
- What's next for marketing in 2019
- How much math does Linus Torvalds know
- Which speed results in maximum engine efficiency
- How is the world now
- Are there sharks on Jones Beach
- What if I give up
- How do actors train for diving?
- Is uniformly mandatory in KIET
- How does weight loss work
- What do you think of ASMR
- What about the feelings of a fat girl
- How do I work on my emotions
- Elvis Costello wrote his own songs
- Will my phone bluetooth become my laptop
- Why do people choose narcissists
- Can cloud computing save costs
- How much traction does Instacart have