What is the right way to freeze vegetables
Freeze vegetables properly
Many types of vegetables can be frozen wonderfully if you blanch them beforehand. To do this, clean the vegetables and, if necessary, chop them up. Then you put the vegetables in boiling water for a few minutes and then quench them in ice water. The ice water stops the cooking process immediately and the vegetables also take on a strong, fresh color. Now it can be frozen in portions in containers or bags and can thus be kept for several months.
Blanching kills microorganisms and slows down the enzymes responsible for ripening, so that no putrefaction can occur. In some vegetables, the nitrate content is also reduced.
You can add a little ascorbic acid (vitamin C, available in the pharmacy) to light vegetables to keep the color.
Not all vegetables are blanched for the same length of time. Below we give you an overview of the recommended times in about half a liter of water.
Tip: Never blanch more than 0.5 kg of vegetables. The water should boil strong and bubbly.
- Eggplants - always finish cooking before freezing
- Cauliflower florets - 3 minutes (with ascorbic acid)
- Whole cauliflower - 8 minutes (with ascorbic acid)
- Broccoli - 3 minutes (with ascorbic acid)
- Beans - 3 minutes
- Chinese cabbage - 2 minutes (with ascorbic acid)
- Broad beans - 4 minutes
- Peas - 2 minutes
- Kale - always finish cooking before freezing
- Cucumbers - do not blanch
- Kohlrabi - 3 minutes (with ascorbic acid)
- Swiss chard - 1-2 minutes
- Horseradish - do not blanch
- Carrots - do not blanch
- Paprika - do not blanch
- Leeks - 3 minutes (with ascorbic acid)
- Beetroot - always finish cooking before freezing
- Red cabbage - always finish cooking before freezing
- Celery - 5 minutes (with ascorbic acid)
- Spinach - 1-2 minutes
- Pointed cabbage leaves - 2 minutes (with ascorbic acid)
- Turnips - 5 minutes (with ascorbic acid)
- Tomatoes - do not blanch
- White cabbage leaves - 2 minutes (with ascorbic acid)
- Savoy cabbage leaves - 2 minutes (with ascorbic acid)
- Zucchini pieces - 3 minutes
- Sweet peas - 2 minutes
- How was a childhood in ancient Rome
- What was the greatest moment for Paul McCartney
- What is the chemical compound of grass
- What is a stair climber
- What process is used to generate thermal energy
- Are there startups in London?
- What are the practical effects of a mutation
- Why should natural resources be used sparingly
- Which topics are mostly searched for on YouTube
- Who is your favorite unit in NCT
- What is the Best P90X Training Plan
- Who created Pavlova
- May Republican states Trump
- Indian men hate dark-skinned women
- Which cultures historically followed a ketogenic diet?
- Running WhatsApp in China
- Is the Excelsior College a good school
- Is marijuana legal in Iceland
- All smart switches require a neutral conductor
- Why is Gandhi so important to Americans
- How many ounces are in one stone?
- What is a gateway failure
- How often do you wear a suit?
- Cancer Makes You Lose Weight