Does it hurt to get braces?
Tips against painful braces
Both loose and fixed braces can cause the wearer noticeable pain. Aching braces occur especially at the beginning of a treatment and are very uncomfortable. Pain is to be expected both during insertion and readjustment, as the teeth are pushed in the desired direction and position with pressure. Of course, the teeth react to this with a defense in the form of pain. Inflammation of the gums caused by the wires or sores on the oral mucosa caused by the abrasion of plastic parts usually lead to pain.
Favored by the restricted oral hygiene, the oral flora is not exactly the best in many models. Bacteria and viruses have a much easier time attaching themselves and causing damage. Biting and chewing in particular is restricted by the pain. Numerous patients also report sleep disorders.
The pain is also perceived differently in intensity depending on age and gender. In addition, every person has an individual sense of pain.
What helps against painful braces?
- In the first few days after the treatment or correction, patients should refrain from exercising, going to the swimming pool or going to the sauna. Being less active for a period of time promotes the healing and recovery process of the delicate tissues in the mouth.
- Soft food is recommended so as not to further stress and irritate the sensitive tooth area. Applesauce, mashed potatoes, soups, yoghurt or quark are just a few examples that are easy on painful teeth.
- Cooling the oral cavity soothes the pain and even numbs it. Ice cream or ice cubes are real all-rounders and dispel the pain for at least a certain amount of time. The cooling also reduces the inflammatory process in the body.
- Avoid acidic foods and drinks. The acids can irritate the already irritated oral mucosa even further and tend to promote inflammation.
- Hard, sweet or sticky stimulants such as nuts, honey, gummy bears, toffee, chips or chocolate are unsuitable during the pain phases. During the acute phase, it is advisable to do without it completely.
- It can help dissolve salt in warm water and use it to rinse your mouth for a minute. The process, used several times a day, can help dispel the pain.
- Make sure you only use a soft toothbrush for dental care in the painful phase. Do not use an oral irrigator or electric toothbrush.
- In principle, good oral hygiene should also be observed when there is pain. The inflamed areas should be treated with care. Gentle circular movements stimulate blood circulation and promote the healing process.
- Mouth rinses with sage or chamomile have also proven to be very effective for inflammation or pressure points in the mouth.
- Taking over-the-counter pain relievers can also help with the pain. It is essential to pay attention to the recommended dose and use in the package insert. Ibuprofen is less suitable as it can slow the healing process. The attending physician can provide precise information about this.
- A local anesthetic from the pharmacy numbs the pain for a few hours. As a rule, these are surface anesthetics in the form of gels, oral irrigators or rinses. Some products can also be found as ointments. If necessary, patients should seek advice from the orthodontist or pharmacist.
In general, it is important to understand that the teeth and jaw need a few days to get used to the new braces or the new corrective position. However, if the pain does not go away on its own after a few days, it is essential to consult the attending physician. He will decide on further treatment and may prescribe a stronger pain reliever or a drug with an anti-inflammatory effect.
- How did skateboarding become a trend?
- Which sounds best wrong?
- How do gravitational waves propagate in space
- What is meant by codec
- Why do people like to start fights?
- Why do people distrust each other?
- Why are robots so popular these days
- Indian Bank is a government bank
- How are SIPs better than mutual funds
- Which Hyundai SUV is the best
- What is classless and great IP address
- What can 100 buy in Bangladesh
- Why did Batman leave Gotham in Batwoman
- What ended the new era of imperialism
- What makes polar bears aggressive?
- What is positive scotoma and negative scotoma
- What are the people doing in Groenland
- Is Spotify good for a new artist
- How do you become a hyper-intellectual
- What should I study for web development
- How were iron armor mass produced
- What is the stupidest Christmas carol
- What are organic fibers
- How do I make pumpkin seeds