What is wire mesh
Rabbit wire for the large outdoor enclosure
Anyone who wants to build an outdoor enclosure made of rabbit wire must first and foremost observe all important safety aspects. The enclosure must be break-in and escape-proof and at the same time remain stable. Not every wire is therefore suitable for rabbit wire. In this article, we explain which variants you can safely use.
What is rabbit wire?
Rabbit wire is a stable wire in the form of a mat, which is used to build rabbit enclosures.
The high quality rabbit wire must meet the following criteria:
- Burglar-proof to protect against predators such as martens, cats or foxes
- Escape-proof so that the rabbits cannot pile up
- Sturdy enough that the rabbit cannot gnaw the wire
- Must not offer any potential for injury
- Must be close-knit
- Longevity and robustness also play a decisive role
Our rabbit wire product recommendations
The so-called "rabbit grid" is available in stores. This is mostly just a very thin wire on a roll that the animals can bite into pieces without any problems. The greatest possible security for a stable and long-term outdoor enclosure can only be obtained by using a high-quality, thick rabbit wire.
In the following we have only selected products that we consider recommendable. We have placed particular emphasis on a thick wire gauge and small mesh size.
Select the optimal rabbit wire
With the above factors in mind, consider the following points when purchasing rabbit wire:
Checklist: buy rabbit wire
- The wire should be at least 1 mm thick
- Rabbit wire with a thickness of 1.2 or 1.3 mm is more suitable
- The mesh size for thicker wire should be a maximum of 3 to 4 cm
- Do not use a bonded wire, just a variant whose points are welded. This increases security enormously
- Be sure to use a galvanized material
If you decide on a thin rabbit wire with a thickness of 1 mm, make sure that the meshes are smaller than 2 cm. This will reduce the risk of gnawing.
Always use a solid frame, for example made of wood or metal, to give the rabbit wire a high degree of flexibility in all directions. Otherwise, predators could push the gate away and get into the enclosure.
Which types of wire are particularly suitable for the rabbit hutch?
If you consider the above-mentioned aspects, the following three variants in particular prove to be safe and robust:
Recommended types of rabbit wire
- The point-welded, thick, close-meshed rabbit wire
- Aviary wire with tight mesh
- Lattice fences with tight mesh
Attach the rabbit wire as best as possible
The better you fasten the rabbit wire, the more security you offer your rabbits. Proceed carefully to avoid any risk.
Fastening with staples
If you want to attach the rabbit wire to a wooden grid, this is an option. However, the prerequisite is that the wooden strips are strong enough. Place the wire where you want it and secure it by tapping the staples into the wooden strip. The advantage: Staples are offered very cheaply in hardware stores. You can therefore attach the rabbit wire particularly securely at a distance of a few centimeters.
If you don't have staples on hand, you can also screw the wire on. Use small screws in combination with a washer that adequately covers the wire.
There are numerous other fastening utensils in the hardware store. Small cable clamps are also suitable under certain circumstances. BUT: You should be able to attach the wire snugly to the wood. The more leeway he has and the more he can move, the higher the security risk.
Attachment to a metal frame
In this case, you can not use staples or screws. The simplest, cheapest and safest option is to tie the rabbit wire using a thick wire. Tension wire, for example, which is normally used to erect a chain link fence, is suitable for this purpose. You can get this variant for a few euros in the hardware store.
Cut the wire into short pieces (depending on the thickness of the frame), place the wire on the frame and fasten it.
The best way to attach the rabbit wire is as follows:
- Feed the tension wire through the first loop of the wire from above
- Now place it around the frame
- From the other side, run the tension wire through a nearby mesh
- Wrap it back around the frame
- Repeat these steps until the wire is securely attached all around
It is sufficient if you lead it through every third mesh (for tight-meshed wire) and through every second mesh (for wires with a large mesh spacing).
- Why is income inequality unfair
- Who is Ziggy Marley
- What makes 75 mg of Seroquel
- Is constipation intestinal inflammation
- How can spouses better manage their finances
- Is musical talent innate or learned
- What is the history of hand pumps
- How to Learn Board Exam Toppers
- What Quora users are professional MMA fighters
- Should PUBG be banned among students
- What kind of craft do you do regularly?
- How do I sue Quora
- Are humans genetically hardwired to hate battles
- How do I develop new Android apps
- Respawn enemies in Fallout 4
- A vacuum can expand indefinitely
- What is the real goal of Mars One
- Steroids are becoming safer
- Facebook uses URL routing
- What are the best indie pop bands
- A narcissist suffers from pathological jealousy
- What are some bad smells in programming
- How is math related to telecommunications
- How do neurons work with IQ